Birthday Hike


Solo Tripping on Birthday!

 

How do you celebrate your birthday? Partying with your friends? Going out with family? Well, most of you agree with me and are nodding right now. Others, who are staying away from their loved ones, are reading this with a poker face ON. I was in the latter one this year, so I decided why not take an off from work and just go out on a solo trip. Getting goosebumps already with “Solo trip”? The first Solo trip is always scary and challenging. You have to plan everything on your own and you can’t put the blame on anyone else (I know right? :P). But once you get a hang of it, then the fun starts. This wasn’t my first Solo trip so the fun quotient was on the higher side. Last year I did Bungee jumping on my Birthday but that story is for another day. Right now let’s focus on this one.

The best part about Solo trips for me is full control to you.
 
You want to eat something? Go ahead.
You want to skip places and go somewhere else? Why not?
Second best part is meeting strangers. When you’re on a trip, you can forget about the routine things, your job and just have a random conversation with someone. Be it the tapri wale bhaiya or the bus conductor or just some fellow traveler. It happens to me often that I have a long conversation with someone without even knowing their name and it clicks me in the end to catch their name.  
 
 
So when someone asks how I travel solo? I don’t. I always find someone or the other on the way.  Sometimes while trekking I get accompanied by a dog as well. If you’re still skeptical about going on a Solo trip, don’t be. Life is all about taking risks and adventures and if you’re not taking risks then what are you doing? Don’t think right now, finish reading this first.
 
So, finally after trying to motivate you a little, let’s start with my hike now. The day arrived and I woke up early to give myself a head start. I’m staying in Dehradun right now so waking up to the hills view and Mussoorie lights at night are pretty normal for me. I started travelling and within 3 hours I reached my destination. Within those 3 hours, I got some calls for birthday wishes and had to go ahead with the small talk which I usually avoid. Usually when you arrive at your base point, you don’t expect a beautiful view. But when I arrived at this place, right in front of me was something that words could not do justice to, so you can see for yourself below. This motivated me even more to start the hike.
 
 
After having the tapri wali chai, I started my hike. If you’ve been to Vaishnodevi temple then you’ll be familiar with the steepness. For those who haven’t, it was a pretty steep hike. The distance wasn’t much but due to the steepness I was stopping after every 5-10 minutes to catch a breath. I was using these small breaks to click pictures as well, which I’m glad I did because on my way down the breathtaking view was replaced with clouds everywhere. Slowly and steadily I reached the middle point where I asked a girl to click a picture of me with the view. Very few people were hiking that day. After getting 5-6 bad shots we managed to get an average shot. After that I called it quits.
 
 
That’s when I started the hike again. This time I got accompanied by her and we started talking. (See! You always find company!) The first question is always “Are you also traveling Solo?” Sadly she was traveling with her father. The more saddening part was that he had done more treks than me. Skipping that part, we started walking and covered the rest of the distance in another hour. The mighty Surkanda Devi temple was in front of us and it came with a 360 degree breathtaking view. The beautiful snowcapped peaks on one side and lush green trees on the other were just too good to miss.
 
 
 
 
After 20 odd minutes the sun shining on our head was replaced with clouds and the magnificent view vanished. A little away from the temple was a point where we could get some pictures with a different view, so we went to explore that place. The minute we reached that point, clouds came out of nowhere and there we were, standing with a poker face. Even in September the winds were cold enough to give you chills. That’s when we started walking back to the temple. It felt like the hike was worth the view and now we had to climb back down to the base point. Coming down was on the easier side and took us less time. Within an hour we were back to our starting point. And sadly it was time to go back to the boring routine life.
 

 
One good thing which I noticed during this hike was that there were benches everywhere to sit and relax and also dustbins so that you don’t litter around. We often see people travelling in the hills littering here and there without much care about the nature. So this was a good initiative to reduce the litter. We should all be a little more active about this (Just a Thought).
 
 
With this I came back to Dehradun and that’s how my Birthday ended with beautiful pictures and memories in my head.
 
 
Do share your feedback in the comments section, how I can further improve my blog.
 
Follow my Food and Travel Blog at: https://emmtravelicious.blogspot.in/
Facebook page for more Stories at: https://www.facebook.com/emmtravelicious
And my Instagram handle at: https://www.instagram.com/emmtravelicious

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frenzy Adventure, Sector 68, Gurgaon

The Weekend Wine & More, Noida

Welcome to the Frenzone!